One of the most valuable aspects of a Brandeis education is the opportunity to carry out cutting-edge research in collaboration with faculty, graduate students and postdocs. There are many research opportunities in laboratories in the science departments at Brandeis. Many students begin working in labs as early as their first semester, while others may start as juniors. Often, the research leads up to publication of a Senior Honors Thesis. Since 2003, Brandeis undergraduates have been co-authors on almost 260 peer-reviewed research publications in scientific journals.
Names of undergraduate students from Brandeis are indicated below in bold face
- Ritter NJ, Anderson NM, Van Hooser SD. Visual stimulus speed does not influence the rapid emergence of direction selectivity in ferret visual cortex. J Neurosci. 2017.
- Zhou J, Du X, Wang J, Yamagata N, Xu B. Enzyme-instructed self-assembly of peptides containing phosphoserine to form supramolecular hydrogels as potential soft biomaterials. Frontiers of Chemical Science and Engineering. 2017.
- Zhou N, Cao X, Du X, Wang H, Wang M, Liu S, Nguyen K, Schmidt-Rohr K, Xu Q, Liang G, Xu B. Hyper-Crosslinkers Lead to Temperature- and pH-Responsive Polymeric Nanogels with Unusual Volume Change. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2017.
- Eapen VV, Waterman DP, Bernard A, Schiffmann N, Sayas E, Kamber R, Lemos B, Memisoglu G, Ang J, Mazella A, Chuartzman SG, Loewith RJ, Schuldiner M, Denic V, Klionsky DJ, Haber JE. A pathway of targeted autophagy is induced by DNA damage in budding yeast. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017.
- Otopalik AG, Goeritz ML, Sutton AC, Brookings T, Guerini CJ, Marder E. Sloppy morphological tuning in identified neurons of the crustacean stomatogastric ganglion. eLife. 2017;6.
- Abruzzi KC, Zadina A, Luo W, Wiyanto E, Rahman R, Guo F, Shafer O, Rosbash M. RNA-seq analysis of Drosophila clock and non-clock neurons reveals neuron-specific cycling and novel candidate neuropeptides. Plos Genet. 2017;13(2):e1006613.
- Keller AS, Payne L, Sekuler R. Characterizing the roles of alpha and theta oscillations in multisensory attention. Neuropsychologia. 2017.
- Morehouse BR, Kumar RP, Matos JO, Olsen SN, Entova S, Oprian DD. Functional and Structural Characterization of a (+)-Limonene Synthase from Citrus sinensis. Biochemistry. 2017.
- Kumar RP, Morehouse BR, Matos JO, Malik K, Lin H, Krauss IJ, Oprian DD. Structural Characterization of Early Michaelis Complexes in the Reaction Catalyzed by (+)-Limonene Synthase from Citrus sinensis Using Fluorinated Substrate Analogues. Biochemistry. 2017.
- Wu R, Sanishvili R, Belitsky BR, Juncosa JI, Le HV, Lehrer HJS, Farley M, Silverman RB, Petsko GA, Ringe D, Liu D. PLP and GABA trigger GabR-mediated transcription regulation in Bacillus subtilis via external aldimine formation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017.
- Nahmani M, Lanahan C, DeRosier D, Turrigiano GG. High-numerical-aperture cryogenic light microscopy for increased precision of superresolution reconstructions. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017.
- Da Veiga Beltrame E, Tyrwhitt-Drake J, Roy I, Shalaby R, Suckale J, Pomeranz Krummel D. 3D Printing of Biomolecular Models for Research and Pedagogy. J Vis Exp. 2017(121).
- Naffin-Olivos JL, Daab A, White A, Goldfarb NE, Milne AC, Liu D, Baikovitz J, Dunn BM, Rengarajan J, Petsko GA, Ringe D. Structure Determination of Mycobacterium tuberculosis Serine Protease Hip1 (Rv2224c). Biochemistry. 2017.
- Aizenman AM, Gold JM, Sekuler R. Multisensory integration in short-term memory: Musicians do rock. Neuroscience. 2017.
- Mehta A, Beach A, Haber JE. Homology Requirements and Competition between Gene Conversion and Break-Induced Replication during Double-Strand Break Repair. Mol Cell. 2017;65(3):515-26 e3.
- Toombs JA, Sytnikova YA, Chirn GW, Ang I, Lau NC, Blower MD. Xenopus Piwi proteins interact with a broad proportion of the oocyte transcriptome. RNA. 2017;23(4):504-20.
- Pochapsky TC, Wong N, Zhuang Y, Futcher J, Pandelia M-E, Teitz DR, Colthart AM. NADH reduction of nitroaromatics as a probe for residual ferric form high-spin in a cytochrome P450. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) – Proteins and Proteomics. 2017.
- Sugimura R, Jha DK, Han A, Soria-Valles C, da Rocha EL, Lu YF, Goettel JA, Serrao E, Rowe RG, Malleshaiah M, Wong I, Sousa P, Zhu TN, Ditadi A, Keller G, Engelman AN, Snapper SB, Doulatov S, Daley GQ. Haematopoietic stem and progenitor cells from human pluripotent stem cells. Nature. 2017.
- Christie IK, Miller P, Van Hooser SD. Cortical amplification models of the experience-dependent development of selective columns and response sparsification. J Neurophysiol. 2017:jn 00177 2017.
- Knecht ZA, Silbering AF, Cruz J, Yang L, Croset V, Benton R, Garrity PA. Ionotropic Receptor-dependent moist and dry cells control hygrosensation in Drosophila. eLife. 2017;6.
- Li J, Fricks C, Caspar DLD, Rayment I. Reversible swelling of sbmv is associated with reversible disordering. J Struct Biol. 2017.
- McCarthy P, Garside E, Meschede-Krasa Y, MacMillan A, Pomeranz Krummel D. Reversibly constraining spliceosome-substrate complexes by engineering disulfide crosslinks. Methods. 2017.
- Yamagata N, Chen X, Zhou J, Li J, Du X, Xu B. Enzymatic self-assembly of an immunoreceptor tyrosine-based inhibitory motif (ITIM). Organic & biomolecular chemistry. 2017.
- Wang RW, Lee CS, Haber JE. Position effects influencing intrachromosomal repair of a double-strand break in budding yeast. PLoS One. 2017;12(7):e0180994.
- Gorla SK, Zhang Y, Rabideau MM, Qin A, Chacko S, House AL, Johnson CR, Mandapati K, Bernstein HM, McKenney ES, Boshoff H, Zhang M, Glomski IJ, Goldberg JB, Cuny GD, Mann BJ, Hedstrom L. Benzoxazoles, phthalazinones, and arylurea-based compounds with IMPDH-independent antibacterial activity against Francisella tularensis. Antimicrobial agents and chemotherapy. 2017.
- Sakhardande R, Stanojeviea S, Baskaran A, Baskaran A, Hagan MF, Chakraborty B. Theory of microphase separation in bidisperse chiral membranes. Phys Rev E. 2017;96(1).